This post will only interest you if you’re using a Mac. AFP (Apple Filing Protocol) is the protocol Macs use to share files over a network. This post will guide you through setting this up using Netatalk. It will also cover setting it up to be easily accessible without the IP address.
To install Netatalk, simply use
sudo apt-get install netatalk”
You should now be able to access your Raspberry Pi from the Finder side bar and under Network (shift + command + k).
EDIT: The remainder of this post is now outdated and should not be required once you have installed netatalk.
This installs 2.1.2 of Netatalk which is not the latest (2.2.3 at time of writing) which may cause issues with using this for Time Machine and with Lion, although I have not experienced any issues on my two Lion machines. My attempts at installing 2.2.3 failed though I’m sure it’s possible.
apt-get has finished, you can connect from the Mac:
- In Finder, open the Go menu and select “Connect to Server…” (⌘K).
- Enter “afp://” followed by your Raspberry Pi’s IP address.
- Enter your Raspberry Pi’s username and password (default username is “pi” with password “raspberry”).
- First run “
sudo apt-get install avahi-daemon”.
- Next, make sure it runs at startup, enter “
sudo update-rc.d avahi-daemon defaults”.
- Create a configuration file containing information about the server. Run “
sudo nano /etc/avahi/services/afpd.service”. Enter (or copy/paste) the following:
<?xml version="1.0" standalone='no'?><!--*-nxml-*-->
<!DOCTYPE service-group SYSTEM "avahi-service.dtd">
Press ctrl and x to exit, then press y to to save changes and return after confirming the location.
- Restart Avahi: “
sudo /etc/init.d/avahi-daemon restart”
- makemeloveyou likes this
- eikidos likes this
- robinrad likes this
- hanlee reblogged this from gettingstartedwithraspberrypi and added:
- dhotson likes this
- pedrocarrico likes this
- vincentpants reblogged this from gettingstartedwithraspberrypi
- nubbel likes this
- buzzlightbrown likes this
- rubenbroman likes this
- yufojune likes this
- onekidneyjoe likes this
- easytigrrr likes this
- crsantos likes this
- laisse-beton likes this
- gettingstartedwithraspberrypi posted this